MIS 495 -- Dr. Reithel
The Software Team
Options available for applying human resources to a project that will
require n people working for k years.
1. n individuals are assigned to m different functional
tasks, relatively little combined work occurs; coordination is the responsibility
of a software manager who may have six other projects to be concerned with
2. n individuals are assigned to m different functional
tasks (m < n) so that informal 'teams' are established; an ad
hoc team leader may be appointed; coordination among teams is the responsibility
of a software manager
3. n individuals are organized into t teams; each team
is assigned one or more functional tasks; each team has a specific structure
that is defined for all teams working on a project; coordination is controlled
by both the team and a software project manager.
Project Coordination Techniques
Formal, impersonal approaches-- Include software engineering documents
and deliverables, technical memos, project milestones, schedules and project
control tools, repository data, and other documentation.
Formal, interpersonal procedures-- Focus on quality assurance activities
(including status review meetings and design and code inspections) applied
to software engineering work products.
Informal, interpersonal procedures-- Include group meetings for
information dissemination and problem solving.
Electronic communication-- Email, electronic bulletin boards, Web
sites, and video-based conferencing
Interpersonal network-- Informal discussions with people outside
of project who may have helpful experience or insight.
The 90-90 Rule
"The first 90 percent of the system absorbs 90 percent of the allotted
effort and time. The last 10 percent takes the other 90 percent of the
allotted effort and time."
This brings us to the realization of several things: time must be spent
at the beginning of a project to establish a realistic plan, during the
project to monitor the plan, and throughout the project to control quality
Suggested links for further readings
management programs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Project 2000 (European research
and development program in project management)
Project Management Institute
List of WWW references
for software project management
Last Modified: Wednesday, 6-January-1999 9:30:00 CDT
© 1997-1999 University of Mississippi. All rights reserved.